WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Mushrooms- Nutrition packed.


Selenium, potassium, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D and more.


I HATE mushrooms, I loath them. I feel like throwing up just smelling them!


Abby LOVES them. Derek loves them too.


Over the years I have always gone out of my way to avoid cooking with them. The smell that wafts off them while handling, the smell that lingers on my hands is beyond offensive to me.


With Abby so limited and the fact that Derek and Abby love them I have felt a huge amount guilt that I have prevented a steady flow of them on our dinner table. Over the years as their popularity has ebbed and flowed I have been secretly pleased to see them not included in the various recipes.


After struggling with keeping Abby's D levels at an acceptable level I have been better about including them, though cautiously. Since she reacts to so much every time I cook them(no raw! Derek got food poisoning from raw ones! and Abby just doesn't eat anything raw unless she wants to react) So far, she has never reacted and at this point really is pleading with me that I find ways to add them more often.

So mushrooms are now on the menu 1-2x a week.


When I have been reading about their nutritional values, I found they are a source of B5. B5 (pantothenic acid)is actually made in our intestines, except Abby's lab's showed she is low in it. Since our bodies make it I have found very little about the lack of b5. However, perhaps that is a component in why she struggles to digest so many foods. Definitely a great reason to include them more frequently.

Also a source of Ergothioneine, which is a great antioxidant.

Here is a snip from the website "Fresh Mushrooms"

Beta-glucans, found in numerous mushroom species, have shown marked immunity-stimulating effects, contribute to resistance against allergies and may also participate in physiological processes related to the metabolism of fats and sugars in the human body. The beta-glucans contained in oyster, shiitake and split gill mushrooms are considered to be the most effective6.


There are some concerns in the corn allergy population, they are grown in a variety of mediums, some of which can be corn contaminated. So if you are corn allergic keep that in mind while searching for a safe source.


I will cope with my hatred of them for Abby's nutritional need for them. I still won't eat them though! :-) In general I am far from picky(if you have read this blog you have seen all the "funky" foods we love) but even with their fab profile, I just cannot. I can however suck it up and prepare them more often for Derek and Abby.

1 comments:

Laura said...

Will doesn't like them either. Marty and I love them!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo