WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Homemade Crispy Treats- gluten free, dairy free, corn-free, soy free, chemical and color free.



I had honestly given up ever being able to recreate the Rice Krispie treat. Without rice Krispies(Not corn -free or chemical free)the treats I made just did not work. I mean, they stuck together but that is about all I could say positive about them.


I tried puffed rice, puffed millet, puffed lotus, you name it I tried it. The marshmallow part I conquered but the texture just never stood up to the original. Also not being able to use butter the flavor was lacking. Just too many things wrong to accept them.


A couple weeks ago I read a post on the Healthy Home Economist about making Rice Crispies. She used regular rice which she dried partially and then fried. I decided what the heck, let's give it a try. I wasn't unhappy with the end results, but yet again they just did not work as far as texture in the rice crispy treats. It was a little time consuming. I don't fry much and I don't fry well so I really struggled to get the oil the right temperature, then having to flip them to get them evenly fried and then drained(mine were a little greasy) and then broken apart when cooled. Though these did not work for crispy treats the way we wanted them to, I can bet we will find many uses for these down the road. They were absolutely terrific for snacking and a 1000 times better then plain puffed rice.


Had to be an easier way.


Remember a couple weeks ago when I used the glutinous rice flakes to make fake oatmeal for oatmeal cookies? Well I decided to fry those- Wow! The second I scattered them across the oil(I used grapeseed oil but coconut oil should work) they fluffed up and very evenly.No need to flip them. No sticking together. Just took a second and I used a slotted spoon to scoop them out onto a plate covered in paper. I saved hours of time using the flakes and they are the CLOSEST thing to rice crispies I have found yet. In a matter of minutes I had six cups of rice crispies(once you take them out they actually snap and crackle as they cool like the real thing!) .

Today I made a batch of marshmallow fluff(Abby just doesn't do well with agar and cannot tolerate gelatin so fluff works well) and about 6 cups of the fried flakes. I warmed the fluff in the microwave for a few and stirred in the fried rice flakes, patted(grease your hand!) them into a pan and FINALLY something close enough to the original that everyone is very pleased. We did not miss the butter at all, since the crispies were fried it had enough "fat" to make it all work nicely. I did add a dash of salt to my marshmallow fluff which helped increase the flavor- perfect.

Finally after 3 years of failed attempts. I feel redeemed. :-)

I have seen flattened rice called poha on Amazon but I am not sure if it is the same thing or will perform the same. I know I have seen the poha at my local Indie/Paki market and I plan on picking up a bag just to see if it the same.

Picture below of the whole rice fried based on the Healthy Home Economist vs the fried glutinous rice flakes

Just the glutinous rice flakes below.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo