WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Sunday, July 6, 2014

No Oats Oatmeal Cookies(gluten free, dairy free, nut free, corn-free, soy free)



It has been a couple years since we have had oatmeal. Major reaction for Abby, and out of all the grain's she lost, we have missed oats the most. Oatmeal cookies, Oatmeal crisps, Oatmeal no-bake cookies used to be big time favorites around here.

For the last few trips to my favorite Asian Market I have eyed the "Glutinous Rice Flakes." This week I finally threw them in my cart figuring I could find something to do with them. When I started looking them up on google I found they are also called "Pinipig" in the Philippines. Abby's stomach usually does great with recipes that originate in the Philippines so I was excited!

Reading about them I learned it is a young green rice that is flattened. You will also find them dyed green but skip those- just get the natural ones.

It is important to "toast." It releases more flavor and crisps them wonderfully. They remind me of a cross between oats and rice crispies when they have been toasted. Right out of the bag they were a little too hard and I worried they would not soften enough with baking.

We are hooked- completely totally hooked on these and I have every intention of loading my pantry with bags of this delicious alternative to oats. I can see eating a bowl toasted with milk for a cereal.. maybe sprinkling toasted ones into a carob or chocolate coating for crunch.. and of course no-bake cookies are now back into play with these.

I ended up not toasting enough so had to use some coconut flakes with this batch- worked out very well. You could use just 3 cups of the toasted rice flakes. Or your favorite gluten free oatmeal cookie recipe- just sub straight across for the oats.

Before adding to the dough they are crispy and though not as crispy as rice crispies they do remind us of them. Once baked into the cookie they have some crisp left but get a nice chew to them very much like oats.

We no longer need oats and honestly we like the texture and flavor of these flakes even better!



2 1/2 cups toasted glutinous rice flakes (pinipig)
1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes(tropical traditions)
2 cups gf all purpose flour(may need a little more, you want a thick stiff batter)
½ tsp salt(we use pink himalayan- salt is tough for the corn allergic and other sensitivities find one that works for you.)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice(or cinnamon if you tolerate it)
½ tsp cloves
¼ cup white sugar(Domino's)
1 cup brown sugar(Domino's)
1 cup palm shortening(Tropical Traditions or Spectrum)
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla(homemade with potato or grape vodka)
1 ½ cups raisins(I used some dried cherries and figs I chopped and added instead)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour,salt,spices and soda. Lastly, stir in rice flakes and raisins.


TIP: I suggest doing a "trial" cookie. If it flattens too much add 1/4 cup more flour. Depending on the ratio's of starch in your flour mix results will vary.

Place a couple inches apart(they spread)on a parchment lined cookie sheet.


Bake cookies at 350 for 8-10 minutes or till lightly browned. Allow to cool before removing from tray.

5 comments:

Aliyanna said...

http://veganmommychef.blogspot.com/2012/06/amazing-coconut-cannellini-cream-cheese.html?showComment=1403118702755
I made this and it is good.....but also added some well quite a bit of paprika and adobo seasoning and sumac....before fermenting and I fermented it twice. I added some coconut kefir (I think yogurt would work fine....but I usually have more kefir around...lol ) and fermented it again.... tastes an awful lot like chedder!!! thought you all might like it!!

Diane said...

Ty! You always have the best links! :-)

Aliyanna said...

I looked for this to buy on line and couldn't find it....since we live in Hicksville...lol..don't have a Asian shop to try....wonder if you could just flake the sweet rice like ya do oats. I used to make a lot of fresh oatmeal that way.

Diane said...

Aliyanna, great minds think a like, I was wondering the same thing. There is something called Poha in Indian cooking it is "flattened rice". Guessing it is likely mature rice vs the young green but should perform similar. I actually looked at the flaker's but even the manual ones(with not such great reviews)was around 100.00 and I wasn't sure I was ready for that purchase. :-) I saw that the kitchen aid actually has a flaker attachment as well! Though not interested in a kitchen aid.. If you try it let me know if it works! Maybe if I know it would work I would find a reason to buy one.

Linda said...

These look so good!!!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo