Recently it was PROVEN that environmental toxins are linked to Autism.
Last year it was PROVEN that for some Autism is caused by Mitochondrial Dysfunction.
So, we don't need to be told that for some, Mito is linked to Environmental Toxins. Doesn't take much of a leap to make the connection. Turns out at least for some with Mito it is possible it might have been prevented.
It has already been proven that some medications cause mitochondrial disease(they are still finding more and more that could be problematic for our mitochondria). Vaccines have side effects.
What you eat, what you breath, what you wear.
No more blaming those pesky bad genes,(for at least some)because now we KNOW we can be doing something to prevent it or at the least, slow it.
Here is a quick link to get you started, it will give you a couple of toxins to immediately remove.
The Huffington Post - The Link between Autism and 10 common Toxins
Can we undo the damage?
I don't know. But we are doing our best to remove toxins that "may" have caused it or made it worse.
It is like some hideous nightmare to think I unknowingly feed her food that was coated in fungicides,pesticides, insecticides(pretty much everything in a grocery store these days)that could have been the culprit behind her getting so much worse. I cannot imagine feeding her any of it now, I know better- we have to stop feeding the toxins to our children and selves.
It is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do. The toxins are in our food, water, air, clothing,soaps,lotions,building supplies- everywhere.
What choice do we have? Now that we know the stuff is making her worse(if not the cause) I would be insane to allow it back in, at least until we know more- I don't ever want to look back and wonder if it was all my fault for not being willing to self educate myself.
We just try to improve 1 item at a time. Glass(lead free of course!)instead of plastic. Ceramic instead of no-stick, NO city water(fluoride), homemade deo's, homemade lotions, no enriched foods(vitamins are grown on Corn which is grown in RoundUp which is a mitotoxin), etc.
We aren't even halfway there in our home and we have been plugging away for a couple years.
For now, Abby is still sick, but not getting rapidly sicker like she was before we removed all the toxins. For lack of a better term, pretty stable, as long as she isn't sick, or exposed to triggers or gets too tired. It makes every effort well worth it and keeps me determined to keep improving her food and environment, it can only help.
For now that is what we have to do, and glad to do it. Anything for a chance.