WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pickle Kraut


(CAUTION Kraut and ferments are not recommended for those with Histamine issues or Mast disorders)

Pickle Kraut:

Some brilliant fermenter figured out this simple and glorious take on kraut. You simply add dill pickle seasonings to your kraut and you end up with kraut that tastes just like delicious dill pickles.

Any where you would add pickles you can now add probiotic and nutrition packed kraut instead. (cabbage has different values then cucumbers and it is easier to ferment kraut then pickles) On a sandwich, on a burger, in a salad.. Kraut is one of those flavors that isn't always the easiest to get picky children or picky spouses to enjoy, but when it tastes like pickles? No problem. :-) (Abby cannot eat it, anything fermented causes a reaction for her) .

To 1 head of cabbage and brine(I use 2 to 2.5 percent brine with pink himalayan salt for mine) I place the following in the bottom of the vessel(I prefer Fido's for kraut you still have to keep your kraut under the brine though! ):

2 teaspoons mustard seed
3 cloves of garlic
2 Tablespoons Dill weed.

I have used fresh dill packed into the bottom and that works well. This batch I had no fresh dill on hand(forgot to grab some) but was able to use dried dill weed.

I have found that if I cut a small square of cotton muslin and tie my herbs into a bundle with some cotton kitchen twine I can place the herb "bundle" in the bottom of the fermenting vessel and not have to worry about bits of herbs floating in my brine to the surface. When I am ready to eat my kraut, I simply pull the bundles out and toss. All the flavor and none of the mess.

In the picture you will see a dark lump in the bottom of the jar, that is the dill. My kraut is not glamorous to look at, but when it is done, it sure tastes good!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that if you wait 2 months or more, Abbie is less likely to react???
The research I have been reading says that a lot of people react to the reactions that the cabbage makes in the process is more allergic and more reactionary than if it waits for the 2 months.
Also if Abbie's or you all have a thryroid issue....you need to switch to zucchini. Cabbage unless it is cooked at least slightly is a goitergen and can cause issues as it depletes the iodine in the body. You can steam it a little and it is fine...but not tried that for kraut. I just do things like zucchini or green tomatoes.
We love cabbage....esp toy choi or bok choi...but we steam em a bit before we eat em.
Also adding Caldwell's starter puts in some really good pros. It also ensure that you don't get bad product.

Diane said...

Yes, I had read that the histamine levels in ferments tend to ebb and flow throughout the fermentation process. We did try the past 8 weeks last winter- and just has violent of a reaction. sigh.. So maybe it is the histamine, or the naturally occurring yeasts? She reacts to all squash so zucchini isn't an option, I tell ya, her reaction list is a royal challenge! :-) But, she does great with baby bok choy(not mature, just baby) as long as it is cooked. Organic cabbage is about the cheapest organic on a regular basis so I do try to include it. She has tried a few nibbles of standard steamed cabbage and it isn't as easy to digest for her as the baby bok choy.. no telling with her insides.. She gets sick from any fruit or veggie if it is not well cooked.. I have read that the best part of using Caldwell's has more to do with consistency.. last I read wild fermentation(when done properly to retard bad bacteria) was just as safe as using a starter culture.. I know a lot of folks who swear by Caldwells, they like the more consistent flavor results best . Because less is more with Abby I did not try the Caldwells because odds are it was derived in a base that she could react to, where I know the salt we use is safe for her.. I have been tempted though, I know one fermenter who swears by the stuff. Recently I have been reading about folks fermenting fresh berries in raw honey.. I have done garlic in raw honey(amazing by the way).. but am not as comfortable with honey as I am with salt for blocking bad bacteria growth.. still, sure sounds tasty! :-) TY for reminding me on the green tomatoes. I did give her a nibble of the green tomatoes last year and she did not react(immediate reaction to red tomato's) and I keep meaning to try them again..

Anonymous said...

How is she with topical meds? Since she reacts to cabbage...I wonder if you could put some iodine on her skin??? If it goes away with in a few hours she is low. When we started, that is how we started.

I am interested in your recipes for the ferments in honey. Fermented garlic is a bit scarey to me...I keep hearing horror stories about botulism. You every hear what the deal was with that or how to do it safely. The berry honey ferment sounds lovely....how do you do it?
My one daughter that had 50+ allergens is now able to eat zucchini and is her favorite of the summer veggies. So maybe........ She does take coq10 daily tho....and you had said you couldn't find a light corn or corn free one?? How is she doing with fish....I know sardines are good for coq10.

As to green tomatoes....it will soon be the season!!!! lol

Diane said...

She does tolerate vitamin D oil on her skin(and it has done a good job upping her numbers that way). I will have to look further into the Iodine, I never thought about skin application. Some things we have tried she will react through the skin, usually takes a couple days before enough absorbs to trigger a reaction, but the D oil is clean enough it doesn't seem to upset her balance. She has steadily been losing foods all summer. Not sure why, but she seems to be slowing down finally. Good thing since she is only safely eating a few foods right now. Not a lot of it is absorbing well. As they say "this too shall pass'. No coq10 is clean enough for her to tolerate, and might just be her body being that crazy sensitive. She was gaining foods for a long while, so hopefully, this winter we head in the add food direction again. :-) Fermenting in honey does set off that "alarm" bell, but apparently, fermenting in honey is a very old method. Mostly I have seen "dried" foods like dried fruits and nuts referenced in the old old recipes, but so far everyone that I have chatted with has had very good results. We have had some long discussions on the safety of raw honey ferments and so far so good. The garlic is easy, peel the cloves and cover in raw honey. They will "float" but simply shake daily. About 8 weeks at least on the counter. Some let them go as long as 1 year! I pop mine in the fridge after 2 months. Make sure to burp, and leave plenty of room in the jar. The berries I have not attempted, but a very short ferment. Cover the berries(say blueberries) in raw honey, 48-72 hours at room temp and then to the fridge. The garlic in honey, is just tasty- raw garlic and raw honey pack an amazing punch of nutrition and goodness and the flavor combo is amazing. Great for cooking though of course cooked you lose some value.

Diane said...

If you are on facebook, this fermenting group is my all time favorite- lots of neat ideas! https://www.facebook.com/groups/fermenterskitchen/

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo