WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Bean Pie




Last Spring one of my nieces was doing a fundraiser and selling magazines. I opted to subscribe to Saveur Magazine, hoping to get some neat idea's to either help me with some new technique or new ingredient for Abby.


In their latest edition they had an article and recipe for Navy Bean Pie. I suspect a lot of folks would skip right over that recipe, but for me it was like winning the lotto! :-)


I had to make a number of substitutions and really not the same recipe any longer but it certainly inspired a new tasty creation. I did not have any navy beans in the fridge but I had some lima beans I had made in the pressure cooker the other day. (Lima beans are an excellent source of the trace mineral, molybdenum, an integral component of the enzyme sulfite oxidase, which is responsible for detoxifying sulfites plus tons of other great stuff but their level of molybdenum is unique among the legumes)

Preheat oven 350



CRUST:
1 gluten free pie crust recipe(mine is gf flour, palm shortening, 1 egg and just enough water to make a soft dough. I roll between sheets of parchment with a liberal amount of gf flour. I don't measure )

beaten egg(beaten egg to brush the crust cutouts so the sugar sticks)
sugar.
Roll out crust and place in pie pan. Trim the edges pretty tight. Reroll all the scrap dough and cut out with small cookie cutter. I brushed them with beaten egg and sprinkled with sugar. I then brushed the edge of the pie crust with beaten egg(helps them stick!) and placed my cutouts overlapping. Place in fridge until ready to fill with filling.



FILLING:

1 cup cooked(soft)lima beans(365 brand)
1 cup evaporated coconut milk(simmer 2 cups of coconut milk(homemade or safe for you) until 50 percent reduced allow to cool to room temp before using)
1 cup sugar( C&H or Domino's Organic Sugar)
4 Tablespoons of palm shortening(or coconut oil both from Tropical Traditions)
1 1/2 Tablespoons of gluten free flour
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract(homemade in potato vodka for corn-free)
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
4 eggs


Throw all the filling ingredients into the blender and puree until smooth. Pour into prepared pie crust.

Bake 50-60 minutes until center is just set(just like making a pumpkin pie). Check after around 30 minutes and carefully tent with tinfoil if the crust is browning too much.

Best eaten completely chilled.

Top with some coconut whipped cream (the hard cream off the top of chilled coconut milk, a bit of powered sugar(corn free), and a sprinkle of agar if wanted for an extra firm cream.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What not garbanzo beans!!!! I am so surprised!!! lol I remember making this pie many years ago. Wasn't diet just money ....lol Family wanted goodies..and fruit was not available...so this was the answer. This is good eating tho...good stuff.

Diane said...

LOL I was soooo tempted to wait until I had soaked and cooked some chickpea's- but those lima bean's were begging to be used in the fridge! :-)

It really is tasty and I surprised I haven't run across it at a potluck or something over the years..

Anonymous said...

Ya know, we don't eat many limas, Red pintos are fermented. As are great northerns...but we eat garbanzos outta the fridge...usually in casseroles...so it might have to be the garbanzos....lol....I don't think fermented beans would do the trick!!!

Diane said...

I had no idea they fermented pinto beans and northern beans before drying them!!! Wow. Thanks for sharing that.

Anonymous said...

I don't. I soak and cook my beans.....I fill up a 5 liter fido and add 1/4 cup salt and set it on the counter for about 4 days or so....depending on the weather...you know the drill...lol. Have left em on the counter for over a month and were fine.... they have a nice bit of sharpness and a whole lot less gas!!!
Great for almost anything cooked beans would do....not sure if you could ferment em before cooking.

Anonymous said...

http://veganmommychef.blogspot.com/2012/06/amazing-coconut-cannellini-cream-cheese.html
found this and like it

Diane said...

Love that blog! I do something similar.. I just blend some chickpea tofu and coconut yogurt together and strain it for a day.. makes a semi firm cheese. We add herbs for savory dishes and sweet for sweets. :-) I used to add a bit of lemon juice but awhile back abby started reacting to lemon.. If you cannot have the real stuff, the coconut yogurt blend with beans is quite good!

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo