WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Fermented Yuca(Cassava) pancakes(gluten free, dairy free, corn free, soy free, nut free)

No flour? No problem. No banana's? No problem. Fermented yuca pancakes are a new favorite. Sadly, Abby cannot partake of these because of the fermented part of the picture, but the rest of us LOVE yuca and were very glad we experimented with these. Abby nor I can have banana's and boy have I missed them. You know when a banana is right on the edge of being overripe? That extra sweetness and that touch of almost boozy flavor? That is fermented yuca. Just no banana flavor. This makes mashed fermented yuca excellent for all sorts of baked goods to increase tenderness, sweetness, and moisture.

The rice yeast balls can be found online or most International markets. There are both Chinese and varieties from the Philippines. I usually use the variety from the Philippines it is the "Rotary" brand. (This is what I buy locally Ragi Manis )


1 1/2 cup mashed fermented Yuca***
2 eggs
2 teaspoons melted coconut oil
1 teaspoon baking powder(homemade, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon tapioca starch,2 teaspoons cream of tartar)
1 dash pink himalayan salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract(homemade vanilla beans soaked for months in potato vodka)

(you can add a bit of sugar, but the fermented yuca is sweet by itself it just isn't needed)



Mash the fermented yuca smooth in the bowl(in the center of each root is there is often a "core" they will look like thick threads or strings, remove and toss those), blend in the rest of the ingredients until smooth.


On a medium low well greased skillet make your pancakes. Low and slow. Without flour these are delicate, so these will take an extra gentle hand to flip.


***Fermented Yuca

Peel and cook your yuca. Boil about 15-20 minutes till tender.

Cool to room temperature

Use "rice ball yeast". I smash the yeast ball(1 ball per about 4 medium roots)till it is powdered and rub all over the yuca. I covered it up snug and placed on top of the fridge(where it is warmer) for 3 days. You know it is done when it smells fruity,boozy and is mushy and sweet. Keeps well in the fridge for a couple weeks.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that this has nuttin whatsoever to do with the yucca....but thought you might like to try it.
It is called buffalo mozzarella...and I think we could adapt it pretty easy!!
http://www.veggie-wedgie.com/?p=2337

Diane said...

Hey! You struck gold with that one! Easy to tweak to make it work! Will give it a try tomorrow! Thank you so much! Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Can ya post your new tweak... I am a bit unsure about the pectin.

Diane said...

I am thinking I will skip the pectin - instead I will use psyllium husk powder.. pectin is just a "thickener".. so really I would hope I could drop both the pectin and the gum.. if it doesn't work with just the psyllium husk I will add back the guar too.. or grind up some holy basil seed(same idea as chia but agree better with Abby)... and use it instead of the pectin.. maybe I will try 3 different batches at once with different variables.. would be nice to get a little "stretch" the coconut yogurt cheese /nofu cheese blend works and melts but doesn't have any "stretch " to it..

Diane said...

as far as I know, all store bought pectins are "corny".. you can make your own pectin but usually apple based and Abby cannot have apples..

Anonymous said...

Yeah....my kids have apple issues, too. I am wondering if it might be the mold that is naturally occurring. My father-in-law had a fairly large ranch and grew apples and cherries. I learned a lot so I could help him.

Anyway....do you think we need it?? Was trying to figure out what to replace it with....gelatin???? Agar???

Diane said...

Maybe mold, but Abby was able to eat pears for a long time.. she started reacting to those too a couples ago, so could be an "mold" thing.

I think it must be the combo of ingredients- whether I need pectin or not it is out.. :-) So I am hoping psyllium or agar(no animal gelatin agrees with Abby) for us.. hoping I have time to tackle it today :-)

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo