Tuesday, December 2, 2014
I have admitted before that I am the WORST at decorating! Now that I am very limited in what I can decorate with, you would think I would work a little harder, but between my tremors and my lack of interest, decorating just isn't my thing! I have no shame, but they sure taste amazing! :-)
We love this recipe for gingerbread men. It rolls well, bakes well and holds up well. I usually make a huge batch and keep them sealed airtight without decorations and only decorate as needed. These will bake well enough to use as a tree decoration(rather eat them!)
1/2 cup palm shortening(Tropical Traditions)
1/2 cup sugar(Domino's or C&H Organic cane sugar)
1/2 cup organic blackstrap molasses(plantation brand)
3 cups gluten free all purpose flour
1 teaspoon guar gum
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger( I dehydrate and grind our own now. )
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves( Simple Organic, Penzey's or grind your own from whole cloves)
1/2 teaspoon salt(I use pink himalayan)
1. In a large bowl, beat shortening and sugar until fluffy and light. Add molasses and egg and beat until thoroughly combined.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together gluten free flour,guar gum, baking soda, ginger, cloves, and salt.
3. Add dry ingredients to shortening mixture to form a dough.
4. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for around 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
6. Roll out each half of dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper(flour the parchment and flip the dough to lightly cover both sides with flour as it often sticks) into 1/2-inch thickness.
7. Place cookies in preheated oven and bake 7 to 10(depending on thickness) minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on cookie sheet before removing.