WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

DIY Raisin Bran Cereal(gluten free, dairy free, corn free, soy free, color and chemical free)



Growing up my family did not get all those fun "junkfood" cold cereals. Our idea of a treat was grapenuts, or raisin bran. I will admit that for me those cereals were only good with a ton of sugar poured over them..I was always sooooo jealous of my friends with Lucky Charms, or Trix or other colored,chemical based boxed cereals.. still when I am looking back I am grateful that we did not get hooked on the candy cold cereals that many in America depend on.


Abby has never been a cold cereal fan,I suspect there were always allergens of some sort in them that bothered her since we did not understand about reactions/sensitivities/triggers in those days. I however have very much missed cold cereal. It is easy, fast and filling. Who doesn't like that?

Unfortunately, none are clean enough of corn and other allergens/reactions for Abby to have, so we don't keep any in the house, that is unless I make it.



Raisin bran was always a favorite of mine. Crunchy flakes, but not too crunchy. Sweet, sweetened raisins.

So, I made some. Every once in awhile I get to make something I want, especially if it meets the Abby criteria.


Clearly not exactly the same, close, and tasty. When I added in the psyllium husk(more for a source of fiber)I found that as it absorbed water it also lightened the flakes up nicely and gave them a more commercial texture.


For our buckwheat flour I toast my buckwheat groats and grind them ourselves, but I am sure purchased buckwheat flour would work.

I sugar coated the raisins, but you don't need to, but they are tasty that way! Abby is hit or miss on homemade raisins but if I were making it for her I might also opt to use dried mission diced figs instead..


Buckwheat Flakes:

4-5 cups water(going to depend on what buckwheat flour and which psyllium husk)
1 cup buckwheat flour
3 Tablespoons psyllium husk. (not powder!)
2 Tablespoons organic C&H cane sugar(or not, but some slight amount of sweetener is nice)
1/2 teaspoon pink himalayan salt
(chia seed, coconut shreds are optional)
1 cup of raisins(directions below on lightly sweetening but if you avoid sugar skip)

Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix. As you mix you will note it thickening up pretty fast. You need to add enough water so it is about the consistency of applesauce. I usually add 3-4 cups of water, and wait about 2-3 minutes, it usually has thickened too much and I add another cup of water.

When it thickens enough to pour, pour on dehydrator sheets and spread. Sometimes by the time you have spread part of the batch the remaining amount has thickened too much, go ahead and mix in a little more water if needed to get the consistency back to applesauce before doing another sheet. It is okay if it isn't smooth, but try to spread it out thinly(it will continue to thicken so work fast)

At this point you can sprinkle with chia seed or coconut shreds and then place in the dehydrator.

I throw mine in overnight, takes quite awhile to get them good and dry and crisp.


Raisins:

Place 1 cup of raisins in a bowl. Cover with boiling hot water and allow to steep for about 10 minutes. Strain.

Toss raisins with a couple teaspoons of C&H(or Domino's)organic cane sugar.

Air dry overnight or throw in the dehydrator for just an hour or two.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo