WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Friday, March 6, 2015

Hibiscus and Coconut Cookies(dairy free, gluten free, corn free, chemical free, soy free)



I have to admit, these were a "mistake" I was glad to make. As soon as they started to spread in the oven I KNEW my ratio of oil to flour was off. I figured I would let them cool so I could at least taste them before remaking the batch with less oil. When I finally got around to tasting them they had firmed up and were delicious! So a new recipe was born.


I was trying to convert an old favorite slice and bake cookie to make it dairy and gluten free. When I can I do try to use coconut oil as it is digested better by Abby and as of right now research indicates a better option then palm shortening. Sometimes though my results aren't predictable!

With my old slice and bake they did not spread as much. They were more a sugar cookie/shortbread hybrid. These are not that!

What was terrific though is that it made a delicate cookie. The coconut I rolled them in toasted and created a crisp and chewy edge that we have decided is terrific.

I decided to color half the dough with hibiscus flower powder. It has been tolerated by Abby very well and with her limits on fruit and veggies her food is often lacking color so anything I can add safely that offers some color is appreciated by her!

These are best kept in the fridge. The coconut oil when chilled provides some stability for the cookie. Next time I might increase the flour by 1/4 cup in hopes to prevent them from being soooooo delicate, but keep them more delicate then the traditional slice and bake.



1 cup Tropical Traditions coconut oil at room temperature
2/3 cup corn-free confectioners’ sugar(homemade is safest to avoid corn)
2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
Pinch of pink himalayan salt
1 teaspoon homemade vanilla extract
1 1/2-2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
hibiscus flower powder(Amazon and International markets)
coconut(to roll in if wanted)

Preheat oven to 350


In bowl cream coconut oil, sugar and egg yolks. Add vanilla extract and salt.

Mix in 1 1/2 cup of your flour.

Split dough in half.

In small bowl or cup combine a couple teaspoons of hibiscus powder and equal amounts of very hot water. Allow to steep for a few minutes.

To 1/2 of the dough add a teaspoon at a time of your hibiscus mixture and mix well. Add until your dough is a color you like. If needed add more flour to get dough firm again.


On a piece of saran wrap flatten out uncolored dough(I used a rolling pin and a bit of flour and shaped it into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick).

Place your colored dough on top of the flattened dough and pat/roll out on top of it.

Carefully roll into a log. Roll in coconut flakes(these will brown in oven,you can skip,but the toasted coconut flavor is amazing!). Wrap tightly in saran wrap and place in fridge until firm. (at least 2 hours)


Once firm, cut into slices and place slices(they do spread so give them plenty of space) on parchment lined cookie sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes.

DO NOT try to move them until completely cooled. These are delicate, and I find storing and serving them cold from the fridge provides the sturdiest cookie.


NOTE: Next time I will likely try a bit of guar gum or increase the flour a bit- I still like the texture, but these are very delicate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo