Thursday, August 20, 2015
If you don't tolerate Lyle's Golden Syrup(a corn-lite item) this isn't going to work for you, but you can do old fashioned rock candy which takes aprox. 7 days. I haven't tried using honey or homemade cane syrup yet with this recipe.
For those who have followed Abby's food journey you know she requires "sugar" to stay functional. Usually baked goods fit the bill, but sometimes her digestion is just not up to fats or eggs or even the various other carbs. Our solution is some hard candy.
No extracts, and no colors but still a nice treat for Abby. You can add extracts(if you have any safe ones) or color(if you have any safe for you) but even just simple without flavor or colors this is a great straight sugar fix.
WARNING WARNING WARNING: If you try to chew this like a hard candy it can become very very sticky and chewy! Choking risk and dental risk)
(Prep is key here- prepare a lined and greased cookie sheet ahead of time.)
½ cup water
¾ cup Lyle's Golden Syrup
2 cups organic Domino's or C&H sugar
(To add extract add 2 teaspoons of extract with other ingredients)
1) Combine all ingredients together and place in a medium saucepan.
2) Stir continuously on medium to medium low heat until boiling.
3) Once liquid begins to boil, DO NOT stir.
4) Once it hits a boil, place candy thermometer in liquid and watch closely. When it reaches 300 degrees, take off heat and set aside.
5) Allow to cool until the bubbles quit breaking at the surface of the liquid.
6) Pour candy onto a foil lined (and well greased) baking sheet
7) Let cool until fully hardened(about an hour). Then break apart to the size desired.
Posted by Diane at 11:29 AM