WARNING: the foods we cook for Abby are safe for her, but not necessarily for everyone. Please confirm any ingredients are safe for you before using in your diet. Food Allergies can kill and the best policy is complete avoidance. Read this post for more info.

Monday, September 28, 2015

Gingersnap Custards:(corn free, gluten free, dairy free, soy free, )

This was a tasty mistake.

For a long time I have been wondering what buttermilk pie tastes like.. Many years ago my friend Karen told me about how it is a southern tradition for many families. Since I grew up in the pacific northwest I had never heard of it. Over the years I have thought about it off and on and for the last year I have wondered how it would be dairy free. Since making gingersnaps last week I have had a bag of gingersnaps either begging that I continue to eat a few with coffee each day, or hurry up and find some way to use them.

They taste shockingly good! Smooth and creamy and the cookie got soft and is like a layer of moist gingerbread in each serving. The mistake was that the cookie floated to the top! :-) Not as pretty as I had imagined, but with a cookie across the top, or peeled and flipped with some cookie crumbs sprinkled on the sweet creamy base it wasn't too ugly! Plus, we ate them so quickly we just did not care. I am considering trying the filling on a regular gf crust down the road.


Warning- these are SWEET, like insanely sweet! 1 will be plenty for even the sweetest sweet tooth.

How I wished I had tried making buttermilk pie a very long time ago!




Ingredients:

1/4 cup Tropical Traditions coconut oil, melted
1 3/4 cups Dominos(or C&H) Organic cane sugar
3 Tablespoons gluten free all-purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup full fat homemade coconut yogurt
1 teaspoon homemade vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon pink himalayan salt(or safe for you salt)
12 gingersnaps(my last recipe post was for a safe gingersnap)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350F.
Combine coconut oil, sugar, flour, eggs, yogurt, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl; whisk until smooth.
Place 1 gingersnap in the bottom of each lined muffin cup.
Pour mixture into lined muffin cups with the cookie in the bottom(I use parchment liners,work great!).
Bake 18-20 minutes, until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving time.

Note: If you want the tops to be golden, place under broiler for a few minutes.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Abby Mito. Powered by film izle film izle favoriblog blogger themes izle harbilog jigolo