Friday, October 9, 2015
With winter coming(hopefully!) it was time to grind some cream of rice cereal for Abby. I use the WonderMill and use the coarse setting to get the right consistency. I tend to grind a bunch at one time so I won't have to do it again for awhile. We like to grind in a few tablespoons of buckwheat to add some value and heartiness to it. We have found though if we use too much buckwheat it can get bitter so we only add a bit(not even 1/6th buckwheat).
I make our own brown sugar(1 cup Domino's organic cane sugar plus 1 Tablespoon unsulfured organic Plantation blackstrap molasses) and always have that on hand. I also keep some homemade margarine(Fake Butter Spread) in the fridge for Abby. When you have these already made this is a super fast and wonderful breakfast.
2 1/4 cup water
1/2 cup rice "cereal"
1/4 teaspoon salt(safe for you)
1) Grind on "coarse" on your grain mill a few cups of safe for you rice( We use Nishiki sushi rice)
2) If like us you would like to add more value, also "coarse" grind a few Tablespoons of teff, or buckwheat or other higher nutrition grain or seed to combine with your rice.
3) Store in airtight container.
4) Bring 2 1/4 water(or safe for you milk) to a rolling boil.
5) Add salt
6) Using a whisk(or you get lumps!)slowly whisk in rice cereal. Reduce heat to medium.
7) cook for a couple minutes until creamy.