Sunday, June 26, 2016
Ice cream sandwiches are wonderful, and sorbet filled sandwiches are even better!
IT is HOT HOT HOT in Houston right now so we are craving frozen everything! Sorbet though without the fat feels more cooling.
When you make a sorbet it often calls for lemon juice but since that is not safe for Abby we use a lot of tamarind, and in this case it made something spectacular! The tamarind intensified the peach and it reminded us of a cross between an apricot and some sort of sour gummy candy..
The cookie is just a basic shortbread and I threw in some ginger, because ginger is a nice addition to both peach and tamarind.
Definitely a make again(and again and again and again!)
For the Cookies:
1 1/2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon guar gum
1/2 cup homemade powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon pink himalayan salt
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
7 tablespoons Tropical Traditions coconut oil(gold), at room temperature
1 extra-large egg
1/2 teaspoon homemade vanilla extract.
Preheat oven 325
1) Combine the egg and coconut oil until it is nice and fluffy.
2) Add, sugar, salt, ginger, flour, vanilla to the egg and oil combo and mix until dough forms into ball. (I used my hands!)
3)Between two sheets of parchment with a liberal amount of gf flour sprinkled on the bottom sheet and on top of the dough, roll out. Use biscuit cutter(or cookie cutter of choice). Mine were about 1/2 inch thick.
4) Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place all cut out raw cookies on the parchment(I sprinkled with sugar ). Place cookie sheet into fridge until well chilled(30 minutes or 15 in the freezer).
5) Bake for 10-15 minutes depending on thickness.
6) Allow to cool completely.
7) Spoon or pipe sorbet on bottom cookie. Carefully set top cookie on top(cookies are pretty frail until frozen) Place in freezer for at least 2 hours. Wrap individually.
Peach and Tamarind Sorbet:
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup organic C&H sugar
3-4 tablespoons tamarind puree(I buy the block, hydrate and strain)
5 medium ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
1) In saucepan heat water,sugar, tamarind until sugar is melted. Remove from heat.
2) Place peaches into blender and add the sugar combo, blend until very smooth. (You can strain, I did and there wasn't much to strain out so would be fine without straining.)
3) Chill and follow your ice cream machine's directions.