Sunday, July 17, 2016
I really like a bar cookie- and mostly because they are easy, they are "kind of cake" and "kind of cookie" and they tend be pretty forgiving to ingredient changes.
The filling on this one makes it a snap! You could mix any safe jam(remember pectin's and citric acids are derived or often tainted with corn) with sliced pears or apples if you can eat them. Since it also only calls for 1 egg it would easy to convert to egg-free with a favored egg substitute.
Abby said the use of the peach preserves plus pear actually made it "more peachy" then normal peach cobbler, I suspect the preserves being cooked down intensified the peach flavor. We were worried the pear might water things down, but it was the opposite!
We use "ginger and clove" exclusively because that is all Abby tolerates, but I could see these being delicious with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, or even mace. I was thinking cardamon and ginger too.
Crust and Crumble Topping:
3 cups all-purpose homemade gluten free flour
3/4 teaspoon guar gum(or psyllium husk powder)
1 cup organic C&H granulated sugar
1 teaspoon homemade baking powder(2 parts cream of tartar,1 part baking soda, 1 part tapioca starch)
¼ teaspoon pink himalayan salt(or safe for you)
1 cup Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil
3 peeled and sliced organic pears(I still rinse and rub with a bit of baking soda and water before peeling)
1 cup peach preserves(I cook down organic peeled peaches with equal amounts of sugar,a bit of tamarind paste,once soft strain extra syrup(save it!)and put the cooked sweetened fruit into freezer safe containers- we use it for jam and the syrup for pancakes and other recipes)
1/2 teaspoon ginger(or more to taste or skip)
1/4 teaspoon cloves(or more to taste or skip)
1) Preheat oven to 350
2) In bowl combine gf flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. Cut in the coconut oil. Add egg and mix well.
3) line an 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper. Press half of the crust/topping mixture into the bottom of pan firmly. Bake for 15 minutes.
4) In bowl combine pear slices and peach preserves. Add and mix in ginger and clove.
5) When crust comes out of the oven spread pear/mixture over crust. Crumble the remaining crust/topping across the top.
6) Bake in over 40-45 minutes until crumble is golden.
7) serve warm with a scoop of coconut milk ice cream, or chill and cut for bars.
Posted by Diane at 10:32 AM